She nourishes her devotees with wisdom and devotion.
When Devoid of Clear Understanding dies, we become clear about our objectives.
Memories was cut down by the sword of wisdom. Whenever memories arise, remember the wisdom that we learned.
When Mother drinks from Her cup of wine, She is drinking the nectar of devotion.
The new generals of the army of the great ego that arrive in Chapter 3:
Questions and Answers:
1. In our tradition, does introspection play a part in getting rid of the ego?
Introspection is a first good step. This will allow us to think about how we want to organize our lives so that we can sit in meditation.
2. What is the symbolism of the ego’s manifestation as elephant and as the man with a sword?
Elephant stands for ahimsa, man with sword represents violence.
3. Is it possible to ever gain the state of “witness” permanently? To live in the world and stay centered regardless of what thoughts come and go? Or, do thoughts always come up to drive us out of our center?
If these were to happen, how can we explain creation? It is possible to stay for some duration and then there is a new creation, a new thought. When we are acting and interacting, we want to act from the center from the memory of what it is to be in the center of unity.
4. Is one ever able to get rid of all the asuras dwelling within? In which event would admitting that “I have conquered this demon” amount to conceit?
Yes it will amount to conceit. We don’t conquer the demon, She does.
5. Don’t we require ego and his general to survive in this world? If we totally annihilate ego and his armies, what remains? Would it be possible to continue working in the world of maya?
Yes. I cannot act and interact without I. But I can act and interact with the memory of what it is like to be in a state of unity. When we slay ego we go into Samadhi. When we come out ego is back.
6. Is it okay to sometimes let the ego or mind have its way (be nice & loving to it rather than fighting it all the time)? Forcing the mind to do good things all the time sometimes doesn’t work. How does one battle this?
Every now and then we can give the ego a night off (laughter). We cannot fight ego. All we can do is to pray to Mother to take the ego away. I am tired of being a human being, I want to become a God again.
7. Isn’t filling yourself with positive thoughts a step towards being devoid of thoughts?
Absolutely. It is the first step. Story of three thieves (rajo, tamas, sattva guna).
8. Does Samadhi relieve human suffering?
It relieves the suffering of the human who experiences Samadhi. It does not relieve all suffering of all people for all time. Samadhi is very important milestone in our path, but it is not the end.
9. Why is this battle designed to be so difficult to win? Wouldn’t there be more peace in the world if we could conquer this ego battle a little quicker?
We will answer that question in the next chapter. See verses 18-19.