Shree Maa often adds small salads to her meals to provide freshness and variety. This salad’s main ingredients are carrots, daikons (white radishes), and coconut. All are shredded and combined with light oil and spices.
2 medium daikon, grated. Keep aside in a seive so that the liquid drains (This reduces strong/pungent fragrance of the daikon.)
2 carrots, grated
2 pinches of hing (asafoetida)
3 Tablespoons oil
2 green chillies grated or ground (optional)
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 pinches of hing
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 inch piece of ginger, grated
2 Tablespoons white sesame seeds
1 cup of fresh grated coconut
juice of 1-2 lemons
salt to taste
1. Combine daikon and carrot in a large serving bowl.
2. In a pan, heat the oil.
3. Add hing, green chillies, mustard seed, and ginger
4. In a separate pan, light roast the sesame seeds. They should not be browned.
5. Add the seeds and the sauteed spices to the daikon/carrot mixture.
6. Sprinkle the coconut, lemon juice, and salt. Add black pepper if not using green chillies.
7. Keep refrigerated.