Panch puran (5-spices) – 1/2 tsp. each of cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black Mustard seeds, nigella (kalonji) and fenugreek seeds. This mixture can be bought in ready-made package. If you are using ready-made package use 1 Tablespoon of 5-spices.)
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
3 Tablespoons ghee
2 teaspoons salt
½ cabbage shredded, medium, not fine
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3 inch pieces
1 cup string beans, cut into 3 inch long pieces
½ daikon, cut into 3 inch long pieces
2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut into 3 inch pieces, or pumpkin cut in 3 inch pieces
1 chilli cut very thin
1 Tablespoon grated ginger
3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2/3 cup water
1. Melt ghee.
2. Add 5-spices first. When they crackle, add powdered spices, ginger and chilli.
3. First add daikon. When it is soft, add pumpkin (or potato) and sweet potato.
4. Add 2/3 cup water. When soft, but not fully cooked, add beans, and after a short while add cabbage. Cover pot, turn heat on low. Stir occasionally.
5. Turn off heat before cabbage is very soft.
6. Add chopped cilantro, stir it in, and shut the lid.