Modaks are Ganesha’s favorite sweet, and we prepare them for Him on every Chaturthi. Shree Maa suggests chanting the Gayatri Mantra while you cook. When preparing modaks, you can also try chanting Ganesha’s mantra, Oṃ Gaṁ Gaṇapataye Namaḥ. Have fun!
1 cup matar daal (small yellow split peas)
4 tablespoons jaggery (unrefined cane sugar)
1 teaspoon ghee
a pinch of cardamom powder
1 tablespoon coconut powder
1. Soak one cup of matar daal overnight.
2. Next day, cook in pressure cooker for about 5 minutes. Turn off pressure cooker even before the whistle comes on.
3. Take out the daal. Strain it and grind it to make a powder.
4. Cook for 5 minutes with a tablespoon of ghee and jaggery powder.
5. Stir together and add a pinch of cardamom powder and coconut powder.
6. When cool enough to handle, form into the shape of modaks. (They are smiliar in shape to Hershey Kisses, but are a bit larger).