Shree Maa cooks vegetables in so many ways. This green bean recipe is easy to prepare for large groups, and it is both delicious and nutritious.
The combination of the green beans with the sweetness of the coconut and the delicate spice of the Indian seasoning makes this a wonderful dish for Mother’s many children.
3 cups green beans, chopped into 1 in. pieces
2 Tbsp. coconut oil*
½ tsp. kalonji (can be purchased at Indian grocery store)
½ tsp. asafoetida (hing)
½ tsp. fresh finely chopped green chilli
½ cup ground coconut powder (unsweetened)
½ cup water
½ tsp. salt (adjust to taste)
*can substitute with olive oil
1. Heat coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
2. Fry kalonji. Then add asafoetida and fry for about 30 seconds.
3. Add salt and chilli and continue to fry.
4. Add chopped green beans and coconut powder and fry for a few minutes.
5. Add coconut powder and water.
6. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until beans are soft.
7. Serve hot with rice, chapatti, or naan.