Please note that this packing list was suggested for the India 2008 tour, but is also relevant for anyone traveling to India on a pilgrimage.
- Security Lock with a combination or key
- Small flashlight w/long-life batteries & same batteries for other electrical equipment.
- Small cloth or other ID-Bag to contain Passport, Credit Card, & Cash to be worn under your clothes while out in public places.
- Mosquito Repellant, Folding Umbrella, and Sunglasses. Mosq. net get in India.
- Your own effective medicines for common cold, headache/pain, nausea, digestive aid, menstrual cramps, diarrhea, etc.
- ATM/Visa Card with international symbol for cash-rupees from Indian “State” banks
- Small day/backpack or closeable shoulder bag for shopping/or carrying your puja books around. Please note that cameras and mobile phones are usually not allowed to be carried into important temples.
- Bring comfortable, but not expensive walking shoes or sandals with some tread which you will leave outside of the crowded public temples.
- Pack light-weight, loose-fitting clothes which can be worn in layers, and which are appropriate for Hindu temples. Weather will be like Autumn Season in the USA with warm, sunny days, but cool in the mornings and evenings. A sweater or thin woolen shawl/chadhur is sufficient for the coolness. For women: sarees, two-piece Punjabi dress outfits, or long skirts with modest blouses are OK. For men: Punjabi-style pants & shirt, kurtas, lungies are most comfortable.
- Pack for minimum use of electronic gadgets, and plan for backup options as 1-2 power-cuts per day, lasting 1/2-1 hour are normal in both Varanasi and Kolkata.
- Some people find that carrying Nutrition/Protein Bars and moistened towelette come in handy while traveling here.
- If you’re traveling and sleeping in slim-budget accommodations, bring your own bedsheets. 1st, 2ND A/C, and 3rd A/C Class trains provide sheets etc.
- Some shopping time for clothes and other items is available in the schedule.
- Keep your luggage within the required weight-limits of the Airline, and pack your carry-on bag or laptop bag with the bare- minimum amount of items, to REDUCE the amount of your time in the Security-Check and Customs lines.
- Pack the puja books indicated on website: Chandi Path, Sundar Kand, Annapurna Sahashranam, Shiva Puja & Advanced Yagnya, Kali Puja, & Rudrashtadhyayi.