This is a recipe for a savory Pongal from Shree Maa. She calls it “Shiva Rice.” It is a perfect dish to make on Mondays, Shiva’s day.
2 cups yellow moong daal
1 1/2 cup white rice
1/2 cup ghee
2 spoonfuls chopped curry leaves
3 spoonfuls grated ginger
1 spoonful whole black peppercorns
1 cup whole cashew nuts
1/2 – 1 spoonful cumin seeds
salt to taste
1. Boil the rice and daal in a pressure cooker. Turn off at one whistle.
2. Remove lid, add salt, and let boil a little bit more, then turn off heat.
3. In a large kadhai or wok melt the ghee.
4. Add whole black peppercorns, cumin seeds, curry leaves, and ginger and fry.
5. Add whole cashew nuts and fry.
6. When cashews are a little brown add rice and daal and fry all together.