Shree Maa’s Rice Pulao is a divine combination of rice, cashews, raisins, and spices. Cooked with ghee (clarified butter) this dish is very pure, sattvic, and tasty!
~ 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
4-5 dried bay leaves
2-3 whole cinnamon sticks
4-5 whole small green cardamom pods
1/4 cup whole cashews
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 Tbsp. ginger, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. green chilli, finely chopped
1/4 cup ghee (clarified butter)
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. salt (adjust to taste)
3 Tbsp. sugar (or xylitol for those on sugar restricted diets) – optional, if you want a slightly sweet taste
1. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker (3 liter size) until melted.
2. Add cardamom, cinnamon sticks, and bay leave, and fry a few minutes.
3. Add green chili, ginger, tumeric, and salt.
4. Add rinsed rice, cashews, and raisins.
5. Add 3 1/2 to 4 cups of water to the pressure cooker.
6. Close pressure cooker and cook on medium-high heat and bring to pressure.
7. Cook additionally for ~5 minutes (time may vary depending on your pressure cooker).
8. Remove cooker from burner and allow pressure to come down naturally.
9. Serve hot as a side dish with vegetable dish or dahl, or enjoy on its own.