Shree Maa’s Baba Ghanoush will soon become a family favorite! Baba Ghanoush is a Middle Eastern dipping spread made primarily from roasted eggplant. Shree Maa’s recipe is unique as it also includes tahini, plain yogurt, asafoetida (hing) and a bit of green chili sauce. Enjoy with chips, pita bread, fresh vegetables or even Indian naan.
½ – ¾ cups roasted egg plant
2 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp plain yogurt
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp asafoetida
Dash green chili sauce (adjust to taste)
½ tsp salt (adjust to taste)
1. Cut eggplant in halves lengthwise then wrap tightly in foil and roast on stove top in a heavy sauce pan on medium heat for about 30 minutes, turning once. (Alternatively, roast in an oven on a baking sheet for 30 minutes at 400 degrees). Remove and discard skin.
2. Fry asafoetida in olive oil briefly then remove from heat.
3. Add eggplant and mash.
4. Add yogurt and tahini and mix.
5. Season with salt and green chili sauce to taste.
6. Transfer eggplant mixture to a medium size mixing bowl.
7. Serve warm or chilled with pita bread wedges, or as a dip with raw vegetables.
Note: For a smoother preparation, puree the eggplant mixture in a food processor! Enjoy!